Hubbard County Government Center
***The Government Center & Passport Services will be closed November 22-23, 2018 for the Thanksgiving holiday.***
Effective April 1, 2018, the passport acceptance fee increased from $25 to $35 per application, as published in the Federal Register.
Processing TimesRoutine: approximately 4-6 weeks (as of 11/13/2018)
Expedited: approximately 2-3 weeks (additional fees apply)
Note: Processing times are subject to change. Check here for the most recent information.
Have an emergency and need a passport to travel abroad on short notice? Contact us asap at (218) 732-3452 for other expedited options.
Additional information is available on the U.S. Department of State website.
What is the difference between the passport book and passport card?
U.S. Passport Book
- Valid for travel by air, sea, or land
- 5" x 3 1/2" book when closed
U.S. Passport Card
- Valid ONLY for land and/or sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean; NOT valid for travel by air
- Wallet size
What do I need to apply for a passport?
Passport applicants must appear in person (minors must appear in person with both parents) and need to provide the following:1. Completed application for a U.S. Passport (DS-11)
- Print the completed form using black ink on one-sided pages. Applications are available online here or at our office.
- The applicant's Social Security Number is required to complete the application.
- Previous U.S. Passport (Applicants 15 years and younger must present birth certificate in addition to previous passport).
- Certified copy of your birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
- Original Naturalization Certificate.
- Certificate of Citizenship.
- Naturalization Certificate.
- Certificate of Citizenship.
- Current, valid driver's license.
- Government ID: City, State or Federal.
- Military ID: Military and dependents.
- Other ID's may be used with discretion.
- One 2"X2" photo taken on a light or white background. Our office takes passport photos for an additional $10.00 fee.
What are the requirements for passport photos?
Passport photos must meet the following requirements:
- Must be color photos on photo-quality paper.
- Must be 2"x2" in size with the subject's head being 1 inch and 1-3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the hair.
- Background must be white.
- No uniforms may be worn in the photo.
- No eyeglasses may be worn in the photo.
- No part of the subject's head may be cropped or obscured. Hair should also not obstruct or obscure the subject's face.
- Photos must NOT be enhanced or altered in any way. The only exception is to remove red-eye.
- Photos that are too light or dark or show glare may be rejected.
What should I/shouldn't I wear to have my passport photo taken?
We've found that photos taken in our facility turn out best if the subject is wearing a darker-colored shirt. Please try to avoid wearing a white or very pale-colored top for your photo as it causes the digital camera to over-compensate.
Also, the Dept of State will NOT accept photos where the subject is wearing:
- A uniform of any kind
- Camoflauge of any color or pattern
Do I need to provide any additional documentation to get a passport book/card for my child?
- Must appear with both parents.
- Both parents will need an acceptable form of ID to prove their identity OR provide a notarized Statement of Consent or Special Circumstance (Form DS-3053), with a photocopy of his/her ID.
- Should have one parent present to sign application. This is not a requirement; However, not having a parent's signature may delay the processing of the application.
What are the passport fees?
Payment 1: Payable to "U.S. Department of State"
- Includes the Passport Fee and/or any Expedite Fee
- Payment must be in the form of a check or money order.
- Includes the Acceptance Fee (mandatory if submitting Form DS-11) and Passport Photo Fee
- Payment may be cash, check or money order.
Important Note: If purchasing a birth certificate or updating or renewing a driver's license when applying for a passport, those transactions will also require separate payments.
|Passport fee(s) Age 16 and over|
|Passport fee(s) Age 15 and under|
|In addition to the Passport Fee, the following fees apply:|
|Expedite Fee (if applicable)||$60.00|
|Passport Photo Fee (if applicable)||$10.00|
|*IMPORTANT! Overnight Mail fees may apply in addition to the above prices.|
|**There is only one execution fee for a combo (passport book and passport card).|
How do I check the status of my passport application or renewal?
You can check the status of a submitted passport application with the U.S. Department of State approximately one week after submission.
Check Passport Application Status Here
How long are passports valid?
- If you were age 16 or older when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.
- If you were under 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.
The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.
Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
Can I renew my passport?
- Passports that are not more than 5 years expired and were valid for 10 years originally are renewed through the mail. The renewal application form is available here or at our office.
- Passports that are more than 5 years expired need to go through the same process as a first time applicant. That application form is available here or at our office.
How do I report a lost or stolen passport?
Lost or stolen passports should be reported to the U.S. Department of State to prevent fraud. The form to report lost or stolen passports is available here or at our office.
How do I cancel the passport of a deceased relative?
You can return the passport of a deceased relative to the US Dept of State for cancellation. They can return the passport after it has been cancelled.
- The valid passport
- A certified copy of the death certificate
- A letter requesting the cancellation and return (or destruction) of the passport
I found someone else's passport. What should I do with it?
If you find another person's lost U.S. passport, please mail it in a sturdy envelope to:
U.S. Department of State
Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
44132 Mercure Circle
PO Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166-1227